Jack

Jack

Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Oodles Of Embryos!

 Hey, we got us embryos here!

Out of the 28 eggs I set in the ReptiPro, here's how things shake out:
16 have embryos!
Also, 2 more *might* be early quitters, but I'm leaving them in to be sure. I'll check again on lockdown day (three days before our hatch day of April 8-9th) and pull any definite quitters then.
10 eggs were duds (never developed), these include three bantam eggs and eggs from Slick Charlie (Partridge Rock, Chickam class of '21) and Cheerio (Red Star mix, Chickam class of '19).

Of the original 28, eggs from Spork (Barred Rock, Chickam class of '21), Sesame (Smokey Pearl, Chickam class of '22) and Brick (bantam Cochin/d'Uccle mix, Chickam class of '19) all have embryos! Only one other bantam egg besides Brick's has an embryo, the other 3 were duds.
Two of the three eggs from my local friend have embryos, the other was a dud.

I kinda blame so many duds (and possibly the early quitters) on our extra-harsh and cold winter. Even though we gathered eggs 2-4 times a day, they were always very cold. Several feet of snow on the ground since December 31st, and we still have low 40's days/low 20's nights (I think we've only broken 50 degrees two days since Jan 1), another storm moving in today.

Other than my original Govee unit failing (they replaced it super quick, I'm very impressed with their customer service), all of the equipment is working like a champ--no temperature spikes/drops from the ReptiPro.

Fingers crossed for lots of healthy lil' chicks! 



2 comments:

  1. In my household we all really look forward to this moment every year! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We love to hear that. It's a lot of work but we enjoy it so much, it's well worth it.

      Delete

Hello! Please feel free to leave me a comment!