Jack

Jack

Tuesday, March 20, 2018

We Have Embryos!

Welp, it's been 10 days and time to check for embryos, so tonight I candled the 39 eggs in the ReptiPro!

...and we have embryos, yay!

Right now we have a total of 15 live, oh-so-squirmy (they do NOT dig the bright light of candling) embryos. Of those, 3 are Dark India Cornish Bantams, 7 are Bantam Cochins (with a possibility of Frizzles) and 5 are eggs from our flock--mostly larger eggs but there is one *tiny* banty egg that we added to the ReptiPro at the last minute.

Further, there are another 13 eggs that I'm *pretty* sure are duds--some have detached aircells--but I'm leaving them in the incubator for now and will recandle them in 4 days; I'll pull any duds at that time.

Eleven other eggs were duds for sure and had never developed, I pulled those. Of the duds, three had a broken yolk (shipped eggs, likely scrambled by the USPS), one was bad (one of ours, I suspect bacteria got in through the shell), one of ours was infertile, and the rest were fertile but never developed.  Three (all Dark India Cornish) had detached aircells, more victims of rough handling in shipping.

Twelve days to baby chicks!!!
...or a bit less, given that there are banty eggs in there, and the little buggers like to hatch at 19-20 days instead of the standard 21--!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Please feel free to leave me a comment!