Jack

Jack

Sunday, August 30, 2015

I Has A Crop! Again!

OK, technically probably a 'harvest', but still.

Chokeberries!

To my surprise, the two little chokeberries bushes that were planted just a few months ago produced like mad--enough to fill my big stockpot with fruit and make at least one batch of jam, I'm thinkin'!

Chokeberries are quite astringent, to the point where you really don't want to eat them straight off the plant.  And tossing a few to the chickens results in some pretty amusing grab-it-spit-it-out-and-stare-at-it rounds of chicken football as they all pass it around, until eventually one of them bypasses that whole 'taste your food' thing and just hoovers it down.

I think I waited a few days too long to pick since some of the berries are a bit shriveled, and the near 100 degree temps haven't helped, but the chokeberries should still make good jam.

Next up will be Beautyberry jam, the berries on those plants are just starting to develop and grow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Please feel free to leave me a comment!