Jack

Jack

Saturday, July 9, 2005

County Fair Time Again!

One of our favorite times of the year is county fair season. Today we went to the Orange County Fair in Costa Mesa, California. Every year the fair has a theme, and this year's is 'Come Out And Play', and they are spotlighting the avocado...which I love and J. is deathly allergic too so he hates. As soon as J., N. and I walked through the Blue Gate (they have them color coded in the hopes that people can find their way out, even through a beer and sunburn induced glaze) I burst out laughing when I saw this sign:



'Avocado Fudge'.  I took a picture of it (who would believe it, otherwise?) while J. mimed leaning over and retching--N. looked on in puzzlement. Now, don't get me wrong--I like fudge...Hell, I LOVE avocados--but Avocado Fudge is just a severe perversion of nature. The other thing that gave me a smile was this bit of artwork:



That's an avocado in that nest of eggs, presumably an escapee from the kitchen where another tasty batch of avocado fudge was being whipped up.

At any rate, N. had a good time. She went down the giant slide 4 times, rode a couple of other rides and batted her eyelashes and bestowed a smile on one of the carnies who then almost fell over himself giving her a large stuffed dog. We had some of that killer giant roasted corn and tons of fresh sqeezed lemonade, visited the animals, watched the charming little three person circus show, got N. some Magic Rocks which we'll grow tomorrow and came home with a new goldfish and sore feet.

*whew*

But of course, this is just the first trip, we'll be going back!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Please feel free to leave me a comment!