Jack

Jack

Saturday, March 24, 2018

One Week To Go!

I did the final candling tonight and checked the eggs that I wasn't sure about a week ago...and yeah, they are duds--all except one, which has a dark green shell and *may* have a chick inside (but honestly I doubt it), so it stays in the ReptiPro.

Here are our final 16 eggs!  We for SURE have 15 embryos, the 'iffy' egg is #31, the large dark green egg on the lower right, in front.


We have quite the mix of itty bitty eggs and big honkin' ones in there. It's gonna be an interesting brooder box...

Here's how they break down:

3 Dark India Cornish Bantam eggs: #1, 6 and 7
7 Bantam Cochin eggs (possible Frizzles): #18, 19, 21, 22, 23, 24 and 25
6 Eggs from our flock, a mix of standard and 1 bantam eggs: #26, 27, 29, 31, 37 and 39 (the tiny bantam egg)

Sadly, none of the Polish or heavy/Brahma eggs developed, and only one of the Dark India Cornish Bantams did. When I did the breakout tonight of the dud eggs, all of the shipped ones were scrambled inside. Boo on the USPS and their rough handling!

One more week (or a couple of days less for the bantams!) until the hatch! The eggs are starting to jiggle a wee bit when I talk to them when I'm doing the turns...the chicks hear me!

Yikes, I gotta go build that brooder box...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Please feel free to leave me a comment!